Fast Facts about Facelift Surgery
- Posted on: Aug 30 2018
Many people are interested in learning more about facelift surgery. We have come to know and love the various non-surgical methods that can rejuvenate the face, but we have also come to recognize their limitations. This leads to questions like “am I a good candidate for a facelift?” and “is now the right time to get a facelift?” Here, we offer a few fast facts that can help you increase your awareness of what a facelift might have to offer.
- A facelift can smooth the skin but won’t make you wrinkle-free. It is important to know what any treatment, including facelift surgery, can and cannot do. While small lines and wrinkles such as crow’s feet and frown lines are not typically eliminated with a facelift, the deep creases that age the lower face are. Nasolabial folds and marionette lines that require ongoing treatment with dermal fillers can be smoothed away for years of youthfulness.
- Facelift results last several years. Depending on several factors, including how well you protect your skin from UV exposure, how well you nourish your body, and how you care for your skin on a daily basis, a facelift can last up to a decade. After the surgical rejuvenation of the face, aging continues as it normally would, but your face appears younger than if you had not had surgery.
- Fullness is key. One of the most valuable insights we have gained in recent years is that redraping the skin and superficial tissue is not enough. A critical aspect of facial aging is the loss of volume in the midface and temples. Therefore, facelift surgery is often complemented by fat injections or dermal filler treatment to restore volume in prominent areas like the cheeks.
- Results improve over time. The initial swelling and bruising that occur from facial surgery disappear relatively quickly. After a week or two, most of the initial side effects go away. However, incision scars and residual swelling continue to decrease over several months.
- Regular activity may be resumed within a week. Most facelift patients are back to normal but light activities within a week. This means walking or going back to work. More strenuous physical activity, such as running or those early-morning spin classes, may need to wait a few weeks.
Facelift surgery is an excellent method of correcting the signs of aging. To learn more, call 713-271-9000.
Posted in: Facelift