Aesthetic Medicine and the Younger Generation
- Posted on: Oct 30 2017
Cosmetic surgery procedures have often been considered somewhat of a rite of passage into the senior years. Early in the practice of aesthetic medicine, there was, in fact, a focus on facial and body rejuvenation. Even in light of enormous evolution, the perception of cosmetic surgery as something for “older folks” has persisted – until now.
As we have been ushered into a new era in which most of us want to be photo-ready at a moment’s notice, we have witnessed an increased interest in cosmetic procedures among individuals in the younger generation. Millennials are smart, too; they are using today’s technology to their advantage, often taking proactive steps to manage their aging process long before a single wrinkle develops.
Common Non-Surgical Treatments
Non-surgical treatments that are commonly sought by twenty- and thirty-somethings include:
- Wrinkle reduction.Wrinkle reduction used to be something that was addressed after-the-fact. We would see wrinkles; we would treat them. Not so much anymore. The nature of certain types of wrinkles gives us the opportunity to intercept them. For instance, we can predict frown lines by observing a person’s expression. Neuromodulators like Botox and Dysport can then be administered into the muscles used to frown, causing them to relax. In so doing, we disrupt the formation of dynamic wrinkles.
- Soft tissue fillers. Filler products like Juvederm are often used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, but they are not limited to such treatment. Dermal fillers can also be administered into the lips to accentuate the curvature of the mouth, into the jawline or chin, and even into the nose to improve the overall shape and facial symmetry.
- Light and lasers. Numerous devices have been developed over the years, providing us with the capability to do everything from reducing unwanted hair to eliminate spider veins to improve sun damaged skin.
What about Surgery?
Millennials are certainly not averse to undergoing surgical procedures to achieve their aesthetic goals. Statistics demonstrate that men and women in the 18 to 35 age group are interested in a variety of cosmetic procedures, including:
- Breast reduction.
- Breast augmentation.
- Nose reshaping, or rhinoplasty
- Ear pinning, or Otoplasty
Schedule a Consultation
Your plastic surgeon has much more up his sleeve than surgical procedures. Call 713-271-9000 to schedule your consultation in our Houston or Sugar Land office.
Posted in: Plastic Surgery