Preparing for Your Liposuction Procedure
- Posted on: Nov 15 2022
Liposuction is a great way to get rid of those pockets of fat that just won’t go away no matter how much you diet and exercise. Patients love it not only because it is effective, but also because it is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure with long-lasting results. However, there are some things you’ll want to do to prepare for your liposuction procedure to ensure a quick and comfortable recovery!
What happens during liposuction?
There are different types of liposuction, such as traditional, in which a thin tube is inserted into a small incision and the fat is suctioned out and VASER® liposuction, which uses ultrasound to break up fatty tissue. Liposuction can be used on the abdomen and waist, upper arms, thighs, cheeks, and in the neck area.
After the procedure, you may see some swelling and feel uncomfortable, and you’ll start to see results when the swelling and bruising subside. Patients typically return to work and their regular activities when they feel comfortable again, usually after a few days. However, you should avoid very strenuous activities for a few weeks. Unless you regain a lot of weight, the results of liposuction are long-lasting.
To get the most out of your procedure, there are some things you can do ahead of time:
• Quit smoking. You should quit at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
• Avoid sunbathing. You should stay out of the sun beginning about 2 weeks before your liposuction appointment.
• Stop taking certain medications. These may include blood-thinning medications (such as Motrin and Advil) and herbal supplements – your doctor will give you the full list.
• Ask for help. You may want to ask a friend or family member to stay with you for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
• Prepare for your recovery. You may want to find a book to read and make sure the remote has batteries so that all you have to do is sit, relax, and recover.
Are you considering having liposuction? Contact the office of Dr. David Altamira for a liposuction consultation, in the Sugar Land or Houston office. Call (713) 271-9000 for an appointment today!
Posted in: Liposuction